Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cajun Chicken Alfredo

Cajun chicken Alfredo:

Ok,  so I'm super proud of myself because I made the Alfredo sauce myself.  No jar sauce here. And it was actually pretty easy. If you are on any type of diet, this is not the meal for you. I could feel my arteries clogging in all that deliciousness.
There are a few things I'd change from the recipe I used, so I'll make those adjustments in the recipe I give you. While it looks like its complicated and it looks like there's a lot to it, it was actually really easy to make.  Start to finish took about 45 minutes.
Here we go!

Ingredients:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 good sized chicken breasts)
Cajun seasoning
16 ounces fettuccine
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2cup heavy cream
1 stick butter cut into smaller pieces
4ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
4 ounces Romano cheese, grated




How to make it:
•Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. OR do like I did, and just cut them in half length wise. Way easier.

•Coat the chicken in the Cajun seasoning. In this step, it's all about taste. I put a fair amount on both sides, but really it was just enough to lightly flavor it in my opinion. If you really want a good Cajun spice flavor, be really generous and work a lot on there.


• Heat a large oven proof skillet over medium heat and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

•Pour 1 tablespoon of the olive oil into the skillet. Swish it around on there so the whole skillet is covered.


• Add the chicken breasts and cook for 5 minutes.

•Flip the chicken breasts over and cook for 3 more minutes.

•Place the skillet in the oven and allow to cook through for 5 more minutes.

•Remove the skillet from the oven...
At this point I cut into my chicken in about 18 places to make sure it was really cooked through. I've never cooked chicken on a skillet before and I was terrified of poisoning my whole family. It was, in fact, cooked perfectly.


•Put the chicken on a cutting board to cool down.

•Bring a big pot of water to boil, and  add the fettuccine to the boiling water. Cook until its al dente.

•While the pasta is boiling, place the skillet back over medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.

•Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.

•Add the heavy cream and butter to the skillet, cook and stir until the butter has melted and its blended together with the cream.



•While the butter is melting, slice the chicken into bite sized pieces. This step is super easy because the chicken cut apart like it was fish.

•Add the cheeses to the cream mixture and stir until fully melted and combined. Seriously, stir stir stir. The cheese takes a while to melt completely and get that yummy Alfredo texture.

•Drain the pasta and add it to the alfredo sauce. Mix it all up.

Here you can either add in the chicken and toss to coat, OR leave it separate and serve it over the alfredo pasta so you have the amount of both you want.
•Wesley and Robyn (my mother in law) both agreed that shrimp would also be yummy in this dish. Maybe you could try it and tell me how it turns out?

Look at all that yummy goodness!


Also, wouldn't some yummy broccoli or some diced tomatoes be a great topper to this dish too?

1 comment:

  1. Heather, sign me up, this is great, now i dont have to call my husband every day to help us deciede what to have for dinner. Keep up the good work I will send you some dinners i have made in the past for you to add to your blog! Love this and YOU! Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me one!